Wednesday, November 21, 2018

'TWAS THE SEASON

A Peek Into Their Life

My stars! What a  time it has been nationally!  I am so upset, sad, and confused so I shan't trouble you with these things.  Instead, I shall continue the saga of my parents' family history.  One of the things my mother told me long before she passed away was to tell me she felt much more comfortable with my in the Big City rather than in the wee town she lived in.  When I asked her why, she said it was because everyone she ran across in town thought my dad was a "darky." That means two things to me and those are (1) the townfolk had never seen a Mexican before and (2) if you were different from the townsfolk, you were immediately a subject for scrutiny. 
 
My grandfather, Neely, did not like my dad.  Mom said it was because her father recognized the alcoholic in my father.  My dear grandmother, whom I never met, was very kind and hospitable to this American who was courting her daughter.  These grandparents of mine also had an odd courtship but that's a tale for another week.
My older sister, Elspeth Clewer, my Dad, my Mom, and me, Lady Margaret.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful photograph and such rich history. Sadly, the history of racism in our country is a lasting legacy, I'm afraid. He was a handsome man. I love reading about genealogy so keep the stories coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so nice that you have taken the time to collect your family history. So many people only live in the here and now without appreciating and learning about their background.
    Good for you.
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete