Monday, November 12, 2018

OH, HEY, CAN YOU SEE?


Yes, folks today the US of A celebrated Veteran's Day.  Officially, though, the special day was celebrated yesterday on November 11, 2018, 100 years from the termination of the Great War.  My
great-grandfather, Charles Dunn, returned to his family in Scotland and my former husband's grandfather, H.V. Powell, returned to his farming in the Midwest.

Later, my father served his country during WWII where in 1945 he met a beautiful Scotswoman, they fell in love and married in her "wee hometown church" later that year.  That's the only reason I'm glad there was a war then because otherwise how would a poor boy born in Mexico and raised in the US have met a half-Scots, half-Irish girl who baked oatcakes at Nairn's?  Then almost 3 years after their wedding, he was able to bring her to the US to live with his family on the border north of Mexico.  My sisters and I came along.

When I was 18, I joined the now-defunct Women's Army Corps so I could travel and benefit from the G.I. Bill.  Well, let's see, I got to travel to my final duty station in Arizona.  The distance is about 300 miles from my hometown. 

2 comments:

  1. So sorry you did not get to travel as you wished. But you know what they say, "Everything happens for a reason."
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete